Thursday, November 19, 2009

Speaking of Take-out Coffee.....

On the coffee cup, for the benefit of the stupids, popular coffee joints print

Caution "Hot"

on the side.

Why the quotation marks? Is the cup lying? Does it just want you to think it's hot, when really it's not?
Do they think that quotation marks are for emphasis?
Don't they know that bold is for emphasis? Or CAPITALS? Or numerous question marks??? Or many, many exclamation points!!! OR ALL OF THEM IN COMBINATION???!!!!

Don't get me started on WHY in the WORLD coffee cups need to have a warning label on them, informing customers that the hot coffee they are buying is, in fact, hot.

A'DUH! A'DUH!!

It irritates me every time. I should stop buying take-out coffee.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, that kills me.

    It all goes back to the stupid woman who sued McD's because she spilled hot coffee on her lap... 'cause she didn't know it was "hot". O.o

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quotation marks are what bugs me. But it's not just take-out coffee cups. The whole world seems to use quotation marks willy-nilly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the quotation mark thing is hilarious. I often find myself giggling in a store because they have some quotation marks on sign, kind of like this:

    'The "frames" are in the "back" of the "store".'

    It's like they're trying to tell me something else.

    ReplyDelete