Wednesday, October 21, 2009

It's "etc", not "ect".

See title.

But more elaborately, "etc" is a short-form of "et cetera" which is Latin. It means "and the rest", "and so on", "and so forth"...etc.

Latin was the official language of the Romans. Have you ever heard of them? They were a small nation that conquered a small part of the world...no biggie, really*.

Still, the English language has adopted some of their Latin phrases. Et cetera is one of those.

I think it would be a lot more difficult to say "ec tetera". Besides, I don't know what that would mean. For all I know it could mean something about nose hairs. (Actually, I'm almost positive it's not even in the language. Five approving claps for anyone who proves me wrong.)



I like this movie.



*That's not really true. It was a biggie. One of the biggest biggies in the history of the world.

1 comment:

  1. Five slooow claps like the ones the League of Uncompromising Men do? Because I love those types of claps!

    *claaap* *claaaaap* *claaaaaaaaap*

    Awesome.

    ReplyDelete